Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tomato Stakes

Kilo is wondering what the heck the tall stakes are doing in her garden!

I still have another wooden stake to attach to this green metal stake.


Notice the wooden stakes are supported by the wooden raised bed boards?

I did a lot of research on the multitude of ways there are to stake tomatoes. I decided for the small space I have and because the tomatoes are indeterminate, I needed to support them up to eight feet high. The metal stakes are pounded into the ground with the wooden stakes screwed onto the metal and sitting on top of the wooden raised bed. They certainly are not pretty, but I am hoping they work. I have read such nightmares about tomato plants flopping over and breaking off just as the fruit is ready to be picked. Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. You are right! Ha! They may only grow to three feet. No matter...as long as they are generous in their fruit.

    ReplyDelete